The Book of Holes
The Book of Holes is what I like to call a ‘progressive’ approach to explain the way the world works by virtue of its holes. This app is based on a 2006 children’s book written and designed by Poul Lange, a Design Firm based in LA who creates among other things, book cover designs. In 2006, this particular book made the top 50 list of best-designed books according to the American Institute of Graphic Arts.
In other words, this app does not mess around.
The app is for children, yes, but it is also for lovers of art, design and magnificent illustration. Since the book illustrations were already beautiful in an incredibly abstract way, the challenge for the developers was to take the nature of the illustrations a step further. To do this they incorporated wonderful, interactive sounds, bits of music and bizarre voices to enhance the mystery of our world full of holes.
This is a marvellous app to introduce your child to the concept of deconstructive thinking, but be warned, topics covered also include holes of the body; eyes, ears and yes—reproductive and digestive holes as well. These holes are addressed in a scientifically tasteful way, but every parent reserves the right to decide how they would like to approach this particular topic with their children. Don’t let it stop you from experiencing the app, it’s extraordinary, but take a peek at it on your own first.
Key features from App Store:
• Over 100 interactive elements that foster visual identification and build observation and motor skills, including skill-based games such as rearranging pictures and playing music
• Educational material that teaches children about everything from the structure of the eye to the origins of the universe
• Beautiful collage-style illustrations by award-winning artist Poul Lange
• Stunning graphics and animations optimized for the iPad
• Option to read to yourself or listen to narration
• Index feature for easy navigation and a Clues page to ensure all features are fully explored
The Book of Holes is available for iPAD, it is $2.99 on App Store.
published on igamemom.com
for more reviews click here